"At Home" Private Services
Did you know that there are many private businesses that are happy to come to your home and give you a hand?
There are many circumstances in which you, or those you care about, will benefit from using private home assisting services.
- If the services within your Community Home Services Program (CHSP) or Home Care Package (HCP) are unable to provide you with all the help you need to manage at home
- If you are not eligible to access government subsidised assistive services
- If you have decided that you would prefer to have more flexibility and choice when setting up some home help, and can afford to do so privately
- You only require temporary ‘home help” while recovering from an illness, medical condition or surgery
- You need home help urgently and cannot wait until your CHSP or HCP has commenced
Examples of Private Services that could help you at home include:
- Using a supermarket online service to assist with shopping and grocery home delivery
- Having nourishing meals provided through a home meal delivery services.
- You can choose to use this type of service every day or just a couple of times a week. Many companies have an extensive menu for you to choose from and meals can be cheaper than buying the ingredients to cook for one or two people
- Using a private house keeper or lawn mowing/gardening service.
- Private cleaners are usually very thorough and they can come and go at the times that suit you. Some people use a private cleaner once a month and use a cleaning service through their CHSP or HCP every other fortnight.
- If you are a person who experiences breathing and respiratory difficulties due to chronic conditions such as asthma or COPD you would greatly benefit from a through house clean at least once a month. Click Here to learn more about hazards in the home for people with respiratory issues.
- Using a mobile hair dresser when you are recovering from illness, homebound or can no longer manage to wash it yourself
- Using a podiatrist or GP who is happy to provide home visits
- Using a mobile pet grooming/washing or walking service
- Using an ironing service
- Using a mobile car wash or detail services if you don’t want to wait around at a car wash outlet
Note: Often government funded Cleaning Services can only provide a basic level of cleaning . Also, government subsidised mowing services can have long waiting lists in some areas. Private services can be an option to top up your current level of government assisted services.
TYPES OF PRIVATE SERVICES:
Private Services through Home Care Providers
If you are on a part pension or are fully self-funded you will still be able to receive home care assistance from a Commonwealth Home Service Program. However, you will not be eligible to receive the same level of subsidy as full pensioners do when using a Home Care Packages (HCP) for services. However, many Providers for HCP’s also provide private service options. Fee’s charged for private Services will vary between each Provider Service and can be more expensive than an independent service – as always it pays to take the time to shop around.
Other Home Care Service Options:
Mable is an excellent resource for those wanting a more personal approach to their care and services. These care services are available to everyone and there is no assessment process. Once you join up (joining is free) you can source the care worker in your local area who best meets your needs and budget. The services they provide and the times they provide it can be more flexible than those through a government subsidised provider.
Services they provide include;
- Nursing Services such as wound care, diabetes care, catheter care, medication management, continence management, bowel and bladder management or case management.
- Personal Care such as showering, dressing, toileting and grooming, manual transfer, assistance with medication, dementia, palliative and disability care as well as care assessment, planning and coordination
- Social Support and Domestic Assistance such as companionship, social outings, shopping assistance and transport, meal preparation, cleaning and laundry, light housework, gardening or basic home maintenance
Go to the Mable website for more information.
GROCERY SHOPPING – ONLINE
- Woolworths: Same Day Pick up or purchase a Delivery Saver Option which provides free delivery if spending over $100.00. Seniors Cards receive $20.00 off on mid-week delivery.
- Grocery Shop Online
- Coles Online
HOW TO FIND A TRADESMAN
Ensuring the tradesman is licenced
Service NSW recommends that if you are using a building contractor or tradesperson for services such as residential building, wiring, plumbing, draining, gas fitting, air conditioning etc, you should check that they have a valid contractor licence.
You can check for a licence online.
If you have any difficulties with your search you can call Service NSW on 13 77 88 or Locally. There is a branch in Newcastle West, Warners Bay and Wallsend. Alternatively you can contact NSW Fair Trading to confirm that the person does hold a contractor’s licence. By law, all contractors must show their licence number on all advertising, stationery and signage.
Yellow Pages Online
You can also use the ‘Yellow Pages” on line to find a tradesman. Using the on-line option provides a much more efficient way of find a suitable service for you and close to your local area as it provides search options. You can also make the font large should you have trouble reading your yellow pages directory book.
Helpful Hint: When looking for a tradesman for a particular job, try to be as precise as possible within the search options to narrow down the search. For example, If you require a small job search within the builder/handyman options to narrow your choices. You can also provide details of your specific job and await a quote, which can save you a lot of time if the job is not urgent. You can also ask for an estimate of how long the job may take.
To get a quote, click on ‘Get Quote“ You will need to provide your details and they report you will 3 quotes within your area. They did not provide specification on how long it will take to receive the quotes though.
Go to “Your Directory” and “Find a Tradie”
Sourcing trades people for the it takes a Village’s “directory” is a work in progress. and will grow over time. Have you used a trades person that you would recommend? Please contact us at [email protected] so we can expand our directory.
FINDING OTHER PRIVATE SERVICES
The ITA-V “Your Directory” is being built
Soon you will be able to search for a variety of services relevant to you and your needs via the it takes a Village ‘Your Directory” located on the above menu bar. The “Your Directory” is a work in progress and will grow over time. Please contact us if you would like to recommend a service so that we all will benefit. Services we are looking for include:
- Mobile hairdressing services
- Meal delivery services:
- Dog walking and grooming services
- Medical/allied health service
- Equipment and home modification services
- Cleaning services
- Ironing services
- Lawn mowing and gardening services
Note: all services within the directory are independent of it takes a Village and are listed for your convenience only.